When I moved to London last year I lost a large amount of books in the move. I do not know which ones. I am aware of the loss because when I go to read an old favourite it is missing, series of books have holes in the middle, and large areas of books I used to have are practically empty. I do not know how many books have gone. I keep revising my estimate upwards, so it is certainly in the hundreds, but may be in the thousands. Some of the books that are missing are actually worth something. Something needs to be done to make sure this does not happen again.
Cataloguing will not necessarily solve the problem but would make an insurance claim easier. It may also help me to re-buy the ones I want of those that are missing. If things go in the future it might mean it is easier to spot a gap in time to get the books back. Over all it seems a good idea.
I have somewhere between 2000 and 4000 books left at a very rough estimate. I have a barcode scanner and some book cataloguing software (www.collectorz.com). I have all my books arranged roughly by category (General fiction, science fiction, cartoons, biography, reference, foreign language,) and alphabetically by author within their categories. I started to catalogue books in the study in a frenzy of activity over Christmas after I was given the scanner.
Now I am back at work I do not really have time to do this, but it needs to be done. More than half my books do not scan in successfully, so there is going to be a large amount of manual work in cataloguing, which is why this is worth having as a 43t goal. Once I have a goal on here I work towards it without losing track, so here it is.